Welcome to Guru Nanak Khalsa School
Guru Nanak Khalsa School is a program for the children at Sikh Gurdwara, San Jose CA. The mission is to give to students knowledge and appreciation of the Sikh way of life and their rich Sikh heritage and to promote excellence in the community
Young sikh children attending the school are instilled with love for Sikh religion, its beliefs, values and customs. This is accomplishes through the teaching of the punjabi language and Gurmukhi script so that they are able to read and understand the Sikh scriptures and Sri Guru Granth Sahib. In addition to this they also learn about the Sikh history and Keertan, the Sikh devotional music.
We have created unique books to teach Punjabi as a Second Language. Stepping Stones Punjabi as a Second Language Instructional Resources are designed with the guidelines based on the US education system for teaching English as a second language. These books are easy to use even by the volunteer teachers who may not have any teaching experience.
Teacher Recruitment and Training
At GNKS, currently, we have more than 100 teachers. We believe that our teachers are the strongest resource that contributes to the success of our school.
We have an annual teacher training about the curriculum and teaching strategies. The goal is to use the limited time in school effectively to maximize student learning.
Awards and Honors
All children have many opportunities to excel and earn rewards at Guru Nanak Khalsa School San Jose. Here are some of the certificates s/he can earn at the end of the year.
- Ambassador of Sikhi Award: given to those boys and girls who do not cut their hair and have a jooda and guttaan.
- Perfect Attendance Award: Given to the student who came to school all year, was absent not more than once.
- Excellence in Gurbani: those who memorized Japuji Sahib
- Academic Excellence Award: given for demonstrating Excellence in learning to read and write Punjabi and scoring 90% or above on tests.
- Student of the Year Award: given to the student who has done the best work in class and home all year.
- Best Reader Award: given to the student who can read Punjabi fluently at his/her level.
- Best Writer Award: given to the student who can write Punjabi fluently at his/her level.
- $100 cash prize: Given to those children who can memorize complete Japji Sahib before they turn 10 years old.
School Hours: (Every Sunday)
11:00 am to 12:30 pm Sikh Heritage Symphony
12:00 pm to 3:30 pm Office Hours
01:00 pm to 01:20 pm Diwan & Assembly
01:30 pm to 02:50 pm Punjabi Class
02:50 pm to 03:10 pm Gurmat & Gurbani Class
03:10 pm to 03:30 pm Snacks (South Hall)
03:30 pm to 04:40 pm Keertan/Tabla Class
Registration will close for the 2023-2024 year on September 15, 2023. After that we cannot take any more students for the current year. Registration will open for year 2024-2025 in June 2024.
The payments are made through paypal and are competely secure. You have the option of paying through paypal or credit card. You will see the options after you submit the form.
Once paymenrt is made you will get an email to your address that registration is complete. If for some reason the payment did not go through, please do not fill the form again. Check your email and you would have gotten the payment link. Clicking on it will take you to the payment page
If the payment is complete you will see the following with the "Paid" Stamp